Med-Surg begins! I am at Evergreen Hospital, on floors 6-8 thus far.
Nurses
So one thing I know I will do when (God willing) I become a nurse. I vow to try to be compassionate to the student nurses. Granted, nurses are almost always busy and probably don't have the time to be explaining even a portion of what he or she is doing to you as a student. My nurse on the second day of shadowing was a nice woman, but she was not impressed to have me following her. Put in the same place, I can't say I would have acted any differently. But I hope I can with God's grace when I get there. Her brusque manner put me at various states of unease throughout the night- being brand new probably contributed to the uneasiness as well. "Don't take it personally," I thought to myself as I ran to take vital signs. I did what I could to help her and ended up learning quite a bit. It was fun. I enjoy this process of learning nursing!
Human
How human a vocation nursing is! It involves the very inner and outer processes of a human being, and requires a holistic approach of body, mind, and soul. It seems you can hardly use one formula for every patient or family. Many patients are put in vulnerable, insecure posititions. One thing I noticed about my patients was how kind most of them were. They were thanking me for helping them, and wishing me "good luck" and "have fun today!" with a gracious smile even as I realized how much pain they could be in from their surgery or condition.
Lord, may I pass on the grace you have given me. Thank you for this opportunity.
Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness!
I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."
...it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD.
Lamentations 3:22-24, 26
Monday, November 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog post #7
ReplyDeleteMargie,
These experiences are very valuable and I'm glad we are required to write down a few of them. It's so easy to forget the things that we swore we would do in the future. We need to look back on these days when we're nurses and that will help us to be compassionate.
I'm glad you're planning ahead. I can't really imagine you acting like that nurse though, it's just not your personality.
Marg,
ReplyDeletesuch a good article. Thanks for writing it. Its too true that grace must be given to us students.
I hope these clincal experiences shape us to be nurses who want to be better teachers (not to say the ones we have are completely bad) to other student nurses.